Welcome to the 2017-18 Vermont Press Association contest.
- Submissions must be published from July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018.
- Deadline for entries: Friday, Oct. 19, 11:59 p.m.
- Payments must be received at the VPA office in Colchester by: Thursday, Nov. 1.
- Annual banquet: Dec. 13, 2018.
In our second year of accepting online entries, we have done our best to streamline the process and have abandoned Dropbox in favor of Google Forms. Thank you to Tim Calabro, Andrea Suozzo and Hannah Marshall for their feedback and contributions to this effort.
You will find links to upload your entries at below. A few items of note:
- You must complete each form once per entry; for example, if your newspaper intends to submit three entries for the best local story category, you will complete that form three times.
- Each article should be a single PDF, consisting of the pages that the article appeared on in print (e.g. A1 and A4) OR a printer-friendly view of the article on your website. If your entry includes six articles, that should be six PDFs.
- You must be signed into a Gmail account to upload entries. We have created an extra account and password that you may use if you do not have access to a Gmail.
- We have done away with discrepancies in the entry costs for different categories. The fee is now $10 per entry across the board, plus one $65 fee per newspaper to participate. (Please note that we charge per entry, not per category. If you submit three entries for best local story, that is $30.) See below for further payment information.
- This new uploading format makes it easier for multiple individuals at a newspaper to make submissions. However, your newsroom still needs to track how many entries are submitted on its behalf, both so that your newspaper does not exceed the maximum submissions allowed per category, and so that you can accurately tally entries for the payment form.
Awards will be presented at our annual banquet at the Capitol Plaza in Montpelier on Thursday, Dec. 13, 2018.
Thank you for participating in the awards process and highlighting the quality journalism being produced in our state every day.
— Vermont Press Association
RULES AND CATEGORIES
- Please visit our general contest page for updated rules and categories.
- You can also download printable PDFs of the rules and categories.
Please click here to download the contest payment form. After printing and filling out the form, please send a check payable to Vermont Press Association to:
St. Michael’s College
Colchester, VT 05439
Payments must be received by Thursday, Nov. 1.
SUBMIT YOUR ENTRIES
You will be prompted to log into a Gmail account in order to submit your entry. (The Gmail does not have to be associated with your newspaper.) If you do not have access to a Gmail account, you may log in when prompted using the email address email@example.com and the password Vermont802.
- John D. Donoghue
- Mavis Doyle
- Best Local Story
- Best State Story
- Feature Writing
- Arts & Entertainment
- Photography — Sports
- Photography — General News
- Photography — Features
- Outstanding Sportswriter
- Rookie Reporter
- Editorial Writing
- Column — Political/Hard News
- Column — Features/Lifestyle/Humor
- General Excellence
Entries must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 19.
Technical help: Contact VPA board member Maggie Cassidy at 603-727-3220 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “VPA contest” in the subject line.
Payment questions: Contact VPA board treasurer Deborah Phillips at 802-479-2582 or email@example.com.
General questions: Contact VPA president Lisa Loomis at 802-496-3607 or firstname.lastname@example.org, or executive director Mike Donoghue at 802-310-7866 or email@example.com.